Portuguese food

The food of Portugal is rich, & has a depth of intensity just like its people.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cuttlefish in black ink - Chocos com tinta

Happy New Year everyone.
Blogger has introduced a new section that shows your stats & I was blown away by how many people are reading my blog a week,several thousand, which totally surprised me as I only have 10 followers, it's great to know people are enjoying something I love.
So I encourage you to either leave a comment or sign up to become a follower, we bloggers love to know what you think of what is posted as a lot of work goes into a post.

During the holidays I had a family member visit from the UK & they requested seafood, as the part of the UK they live doesn't have the quantity or quality that we Australians enjoy.
I made all the favorites, octopus, mussels with garlic,wine & parsley, garlic prawns, cuttlefish in black ink.

I have memories of eating this dish as a small child & remember very vividly watching my mother clean the cuttlefish.
I can't tell you how delicious this dish is, the black ink has the intense flavour of the sea. 


Ingredients

  • 100ml olive oil
  • 1 kg cuttlefish
  • 6 garlic cloves chopped
  • 4  bay leaves
  • 1/2 tea salt
  • 100ml white wine
  • 1 tab parsley, chopped

    1. Hold the cuttlefish in your hand & pull the tentacles out being very careful to not break the ink sac.
    Once the tentacles are removed, remove the ink sac by cutting it away from the intestines & placing it aside in a bowl.
    Pull out the cuttle bone & under cold running water pull the skin off.
    Cut the cuttle fish into bit size pieces.

    2. Heat a fry pan on medium heat add the oil then the garlic,  20 seconds later add the cuttlefish, bay leaves & then the ink sacs, stir for 1 min. The ink sacs should release the black ink, add the salt & the white wine & cook a further 3 min.  
    Transfer the cuttlefish to a serving dish & sprinkle with chopped parsley. 




     

    1 comment:

    Digital Media Learning said...

    This dish truely was delicious. I loved it.